Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Patronage

Today in class, we were talking about Luke's Gospel and the mention of Theophilus at the beginning of chapter one. One theory is that Theophilus was Luke's patron, who supplied the income for Luke to research and write his Gospel.

Sculptors and painters of old would often work their patron's face into their work of art, usually by making the face resemble that of their patron's. Also, playwrights, such as Shakespeare and Marlowe, always had patrons supporting them while they studied and wrote.

This got me thinking that I really need to find a patron to support me through my studies in grad school! Working 25 hours a week and going to school full time is quite exhausting. Plus, it doesn't leave much time for studying. Surely someone in the world would like to support a future Catholic theologian (I'll dedicate all my research and writing to you!).

O, if people only valued education like in the days of antiquity!

No comments: