Saturday, December 24, 2005

Expansion Of Library And Christmas Music


I just returned home from Borders Bookstore where I have spent some of my Christmas money that I received earlier this week. I could spend so much money on books there, it's scary! I also end up spending hours at a time looking at the books, much to the frustration of my wife. While I was there they were playing Sara Botkin's c.d. An Angel's Christmas. She has the most amazing voice and I wanted a Christmas c.d. that had traditional Christmas hymns on it instead of songs about Santa and generic songs about a warm fuzzy feeling, so I have added it to my collection. I highly recommend it!

The books I purchased are as follows:

A Concise History of the Catholic Church by Thomas Bokenkotter

Origen: An Exhortation To Martyrdom, Prayer And Selected Works translated by Rowan A. Greer (with a preface by Hans Urs Von Balthasar

Called To Communion by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger (Benedict XVI)

On The Way To Jesus Christ by Joseph Ratzinger (Benedict XVI)

Apologia Pro Vita Sua by John Henry Newman

Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton

Letters To Jesus (Answered) by Peter Kreeft

As you can see, I have quite a bit of reading ahead of me!

2 comments:

JohnE said...

The Concise History is an excellent book.

Here are some great books I read after my own conversion:

The Imitation of Christ by Kempis
My Way of Life, Pocket Edition of St. Thomas by Farrell and Healy.
Apologetics by Msgr. Paul Glenn.
Catholic Apologetics Today by Fr. William Most.
The Confessions of St. Augustine.
Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Frances de Sales.
Poustinia by Catherine Doherty.
Vatican II, both editions by Fr. Austin Flannery
Encyclical Mystici Corporis by Pius XII.
The Joy of Full Surrender by Jean-Pierre de Caussade
Purgatory by Fr. Schouppe
Anything by some of my favourite saints such as St. John of the Cross, St. Therese of Lisieux, St. John Marie Vianney, St. Teresa of Availa, St. Philip Neri, and more.

I spent the first three years after my conversion basically in books and the Scriptures! As well as any time that I could spare to be with Jesus in the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Be assured of our prayers for your continued progress in becoming Catholic!

Pax vobis,

John

Unknown said...

Thanks for the list of books and especially for your prayers!