Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Chinese Martyrs


"Today, a movement which has grown up outside the Catholic hierarchy is urging us on to attack him who represents the Pope, who represents, Jesus Christ...Gentleman: I have only one soul and I cannot divide it up; but I have a body which can be divided up. It seems to me that the best thing to do is to offer my whole soul to God and the holy Church, and my body to my country...Since I cannot remedy [the conflict in which Church and State are opposed], there is nothing I can do better than offer my soul to one side and my body to the other, in sacrifice in the hope of promoting understanding between them...I am a Chinese Catholic. I love my country, just as I dissociate myself from everything that is opposed to the laws of my Church, and above all things I dissociate myself from everything that can sow discord. But if the Church and Government cannot come to an agreement, sooner or later every Chinese Catholic will have nothing left to do but die. Then why should one not offer one's body at once to hasten the mutual understanding of the parties concerned?"

-Fr. Tong Che-Tche, June 2, 1951.

The Church is still being persecuted in China and the blood of martyrs is still being spilt today. Please pray for all Christians in hostile countries!

No comments: