Friday, April 07, 2006

UGHH!


Last night at work, I was reading "A Shorter Summa: The essential philosophical passages of St. Thomas Aquinas' Summa Theologica edited and explained" by Peter Kreeft. When my break was over I got up to return to work, when the man next to me (a regular customer) asked what I was reading. I told him it was selections of St. Thomas's Summa Theologica. I wasn't sure if he knew who St. Thomas was, so I explained that the Summa was his great work on theology and philosophy.

He then asked if I had ever heard of Alan Watts. I said no. Then he told me that he read one of his books when he was 29 (he is 65 now) and he was very lucky to do so. He then said, "St. Thomas doesn't hold up."

At which point I thought, "oookaaay."

As I started to go back to work with a shrug of my shoulders, he kept repeating, "St. Thomas doesn't hold up, St. Thomas doesn't hold up."

Now, at this point I'm thinking, "hmm...I bet you that Alan Watts was either an atheist or something of the sort."

Well, upon further research, it was discovered that he was an Episcopal priest (see, atheist or something of the sort) who was educated at Seabury-Western (red flags all around!).

Then I found out that he was a Buddhist since the age of 16.

It appears that the only reason he went to Seabury-Western was because he didn't have a profession and he wished to sidestep the draft for World War II (Yes, for all the non-Epsicopalians out there, they let anyone into their seminaries to be ordained priests; buddhists, witches, mormons, atheists...you name it).

He left the priesthood in 1950 after having an affair. (Sounds typical of liberal Episcopal priests. Only, most don't leave the priesthood. Some get elected Bishop of New Hampshire!)

Gotta love the culture of relativism that pervades the world these days...NOT!

No comments: