Monday, March 13, 2006

No Dispensation For Pittsburgh


I just saw this note on the Diocese of Pittsburgh website:

During Lent, Ash Wednesday and Good Friday are days of fast and abstinence. The Fridays of Lent are days of abstinence. Abstinence means that Catholics 14 and older are required to refrain from eating meat.

When St. Patrick’s Day falls on a Friday of Lent, as is the case this year, we need to be remember that the saint’s feast is not considered reason for dispensation from the rule of abstinence.

Next Friday, March 17, is a Lenten Friday and remains a day of abstinence.

It's a sad day for us Irish in Pittsburgh!
Lucky are those in dioceses where the bishop has granted a dispensation!

...On another note, I have noticed that there has been an increase in traffic to this blog today. Most of the viewers have found my site looking to see if their diocese is granting a dispensation. I expect traffic to increase as St. Patrick's day nears.

So if you are a first timer to this blog: Welcome and God bless!

3 comments:

Staying in Balance said...

Those of us in the Harrisburg diocese will join the faithful in Pittsburgh in abstaining on the 17th. I will be eating my borscht soup as it contains cabbage and potatoes.

Unknown said...

I will probably end up getting fish and chips...with a side of Guinness of course ;-)

Staying in Balance said...

I remember my dad used to have green beer on St. Patrick's Day. We got green milk! :)