Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Happy Saint Brendan's Day!



Today is the feast of St. Brendan the Voyager!

In honor of this day I have made St. Brendan Co-Patron of Irish-Catholic and Dangerous blog!

Brendan was born in 460 at Tralee, County Kerry, Ireland. He is the brother of Saint Briga and was educated by St. Ita of Killeedy. In 512, he was ordained by Bishop St. Erc of Kerry. Brendan became a monk and built monastic cells at Ardfert, Shankeel, Aleth, Plouaret, Inchquin Island, and Annaghdown. He also founded a large monastery and monastic school at Clonfert. Legend says that this community had at least three thousand monks, and that their rule was dictated to Brendan by an angel.

There are many tales of Brendan and his voyages. He is described as travelling the high seas of the Atlantic, searching for the Isles of the Blessed, touching the Canaries, and even discovering America in the 6th century. It is possible that he actually made visits to Scotland and Wales. At one point Brendan and his fellow monks stop on a small island, celebrate Easter Mass, light a fire - and then learn the island is an enormous whale!

His friends and contemporaries included: Saint Columba, Saint Brendan of Birr, Saint Brigid, and Saint Enda of Arran.

St. Brendan died in 583.

He is the patron saint of boatmen; the diocese of Clonfert, Ireland; diocese of Kerry, Ireland; mariners; sailors; travellers; watermen; and whales.

For a great book on St. Brendan, I would highly recommend Brendan by Frederick Buechner.

Prayer to Saint Brendan

Dear Saint, to mention your name is to recall much travelling. It was in relation to voyages that you emerged as a popular Saint. The Irish became great travellers thus spreading their faith everywhere. Protect not only mariners but all who go down to the sea in ships. Amen.

Prayer for the Spirit of Saint Brendan

God of sea and land, you endowed your servant Brendan with a bold and adventurous spirit, to occupy himself for your business on the great waters, and revealed to him your wonders in the deep. Make us, who recall with thanksgiving his life and ministry, zealous to be pioneers and pilgrims for the faith of Christ. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen.

Saint Brendan's Prayer

Shall I abandon, O King of mysteries, the soft comforts of home?
Shall I turn my back on my native land, and turn my face towards the sea?

Shall I put myself wholly at your mercy,
without silver, without a horse,
without fame, without honor?
Shall I throw myself wholly upon You,
without sword and shield, without food and drink,
without a bed to lie on?
Shall I say farewell to my beautiful land, placing myself under Your yoke?

Shall I pour out my heart to You, confessing my manifold sins and begging forgiveness,
tears streaming down my cheeks?
Shall I leave the prints of my knees on the sandy beach,
a record of my final prayer in my native land?

Shall I then suffer every kind of wound that the sea can inflict?
Shall I take my tiny boat across the wide sparkling ocean?
O King of the Glorious Heaven, shall I go of my own choice upon the sea?

O Christ, will You help me on the wild waves?

-Ascribed to Saint Brendan the Navigator before sailing across the Atlantic.

No comments: