Monday, January 08, 2007

The Peace of the Lord

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you..."

I was talking with a friend about this verse from John 14:27 and we were wondering what exactly is the "peace" that Christ was talking about.

Today, during Mass, I had an epiphany (this would have been a better story had I had the epiphany two days ago!).

The "peace" is the Holy Spirit!

If you look at John 14:25-26, the immediate verses before John 14:27, Christ says, "These things I have spoken to you, while I am still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."

Also, in John 2o:21, Christ says to the disciples after his Resurrection, "Peace be with you" and then He breathes on them and says, "Receive the Holy Spirit."

And what is the Holy Spirit represented as in the Bible? A dove. And a dove is also symbolic of peace!

Another thing to consider is the words of the Liturgy, which might not be noticeable to those who only attend the Novus Ordo with its poor translations. At the Peace, the priest says, "Peace be with you" to which (correctly translated) the congregations response is "and with thy Spirit." We are wishing the peace which is the Holy Spirit to come upon each other.

Anyways, that's what I've got. I'm open to corrections. What do you think?

No comments: