Friday, August 25, 2006

Mad Hatted Protestants

John Martignoni had this in his weekly e-letter:

"Could you be wrong on your interpretation of this passage," said Alice to the Mad Hatter. "Of course I could be wrong on my interpretation...," "Because you're not infallible," interjected Alice, "...because I'm not infallible, you know," continued the Mad Hatter. "Then," said Alice, "you would agree that the Cheshire Cat's interpretation of this verse could possibly be right?" "Absolutely, not," said the Mad Hatter. "I can say with absolute certainty that the Cheshire Cat's interpretation of this passage is wrong!" "But," interjected Alice, "you could be wrong on that, couldn't you?" "Of course, I could be wrong on that...," said the Mad Hatter. "Because you're not infallible," interjected Alice again. "...because I'm not infallible, you know," finished the Mad Hatter. "Then," said Alice, a bit puzzled, "if you're not infallible, couldn't the Cheshire Cat be right?" "Absolutely not," said the Mad Hatter, "the Cheshire Cat can never be right when he disagrees with me."

(If this has confused you, just substitute "Catholic" for "Cheshire Cat.")

No comments: