Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Hanging With Anglican Seminarians



Last weekend I was hanging out with some Episcopal seminarians who were curious as to why I have decided to leave the Episcopal Church and become Catholic. I explained my reasons and so forth, causing a small argument to ensue.

One of the reasons I gave, was that the Anglican Communion does not have a definitive statement concerning what they believe as a communion. One seminarian said that my reason was what all the people who have left the Anglican Communion have cited and that it was an empty excuse. I countered by asking him to define as well as show me in writing what the Anglican Church believes. He did not have a definition, nor a source.

Then he said, "Well, what about the thing at the beginning of the service where you worship the bread?"

I replied, "The Blessed Sacrament. What about it?"

"Do you think it's right to worship it?"

To which I said, "Let me ask you this, do you believe the bread and wine are the actual body and blood of Jesus?"

"You mean transubstantiation?"

"Yes, exactly!"

"No, I do not."

I told him then that it was superfluous to argue with him about the Blessed Sacrament if he didn't believe in the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist.

By a seminarian saying that he did not believe in the Real Presence, he proved my statement about the Anglican Communion not having a definitive statement of belief.

Because, believe me. I know many Anglican priests who do believe in the Real Presence. I also know for a fact that he isn't the only priest (-to be) who does not.

No comments: