Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Importance Of Being Irish




"Take an average Irishman...
and you will find that
the very first principle
in his mind is,
'I am not an Englishman
,because I am a Catholic!
'Take an Irishman
wherever he is found,
all over the earth,
and any casual observer will
at once come to the conclusion,
'Oh; he is an Irishman,
he is a Catholic!
'The two go together."

Father Thomas H. Burke, O.P.
c. 1870

This great quote comes from Recta Ratio, a wonderful blog from a fellow Irishman from Boston!
Thankfully, I will be able to join my Irish heritage with full Catholicity on Easter of this year!

2 comments:

antonia said...

hehe! That is so true! Everytime I see a red-head with an Irish accent I think, "Ooh! They must be Catholic!"

:-)

Just out of curiosity...do you know about your ancestors? Were they Catholic? ( I presume they were Irish!)
If I may continue to be nosey...are you Irish from both sides of the family, or just one parent?
Have you ever been to Ireland? Do you still have family there?

Unknown said...

Antonia,
I have tried to research my ancestors, but haven't gotten very far. I have found that Ancestoral research can be quite expensive and I am not financially equipped for it.
As far back as I can tell from what I know, my family has been Anglican ever since they were living in the United States.
My father's side is Irish and I think there might be some Irish on my mother's side along with Scottish and English (which would explain the Anglicanism).
I have never been to Ireland, but long to go. I have a friend who has been to Ireland and I commissioned her to bring me back a Guinness pint glass from an Irish Pub, which she most graciously did!
The last question ties in with the first...my research hasn't been as extensive as I would wish, so I am not sure if I still have family there.

So, if you see any Garland's walking around in England with Irish (or even British) accents, who knows? I just might be related to them!